Benefits Customer news Money Advice Support

Support with rising living costs

Following the increase in living costs and energy prices this year, many of us are looking at ways to manage our finances. There is support out there, and we've collected some helpful advice below.

See if you qualify for a social water tariff

Some water companies offer their customers a lower bill if the income of the household is lower than HMRCs low-income threshold, excluding specific benefits. Each water company has its own scheme with different qualifying criteria. Visit your water company’s website or contact them directly to see what’s available and how to apply – you may need to fill in an application form.

Check if you can claim pension credit

Pension credit is separate from your state pension and gives you extra money to help with your living costs. You could be eligible if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income (total income for single person/couple under £182/£278, and possibly higher if you have a disability). If you’re entitled, you’ll also get housing benefit to help with your rent and other housing costs, such as ground rent or service charges. You can get help with other things such as help with heating costs and council tax benefit too - find out more on Pension Credit by clicking here.

Create a budget

Check out our benefits calculator where you can see how much benefit you could be entitled to, or how much better off you might be in work. You can also create a budget to help you manage your incomings, outgoings and see how changes in your household budget can affect your income.

Speak to your energy supplier

If you’re struggling to pay your bills or you’re in debt with your payments, please speak to your energy supplier as soon as possible. According to rules by Ofgem (the energy regulator for Great Britain) energy suppliers must offer payment plans customers can afford and customers can ask for ‘emergency credit’ if they use a prepay meter and can’t top up. Read more on the Ofgem website on the conversations you can have with your energy supplier and the help that might be on offer.


For further tips and advice check out the following organisations and websites:

  • Citizens Advice – providing information on the grants and benefits that can help you pay your energy bills.
  • Money Helper – tips on what to do if you’re worried about your energy bills rising.
  • Turn2Us – a national charity offering practical help to people who are struggling financially.

Our Tenancy Support team are here to help if you’re worried about paying your rent or you’re looking for some help or advice. If you’d like to speak to us, please contact us in the usual way. However, please be aware we’re currently dealing with a high volume of enquiries related to money and benefits - rest assured we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.