The cost of back-to-school essentials, such as uniforms, stationery and books can all add up. This is on top of expenses like food and childcare, which can be a big worry. That’s why we’ve put together a few ways to help cut costs when preparing to start the new school year.
- Take stock first – make sure you know what you already have, so you don’t buy duplicates and things you don’t necessarily need.
- Buy second hand – take a look on second hand uniform sites, as well as Facebook Marketplace and eBay to shop for (and sell) pre-loved uniforms.
- Label everything – making sure all your children’s belongings (such as uniforms) are clearly labelled with their name will help prevent them from getting lost and having to buy replacements.
- Apply for tax-free childcare – you can get help with the costs of childminders and nurseries, as well as breakfast, after-school and school holiday clubs. Find out if you’re eligible here: www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare
- Apply for free school meals - if you’re eligible, you can apply for free school meals. Find out more here: www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals