Benefits Customer news Support

Money saving tips

As we enjoy the last few weeks of summer and approach autumn, we know the energy price cap rise in October, coupled with the increase in price of many household items, will be a concern. We’ve put together some useful tips and resources below to help you make some savings and prepare for the winter months. 

If you’re worried or struggling, please get in touch. Our teams can provide money advice; check you’re claiming all the benefits that you're entitled to and find out if you're eligible for cheaper utilities tariffs.  

Make a budget 

If money is tight, making a budget is a useful way of keeping track of your spending, whilst also budgeting for everyday bills (such as rent, and electricity and gas bills). Try the government’s easy-to-use budget calculator here.   

Are you claiming all the benefits that you're entitled to?  

Contact our Tenancy Support team who can check that you’re claiming all the benefits you’re eligible for, or try our free benefit calculator.  

Save on your energy bills  

We’ve put together some tips that might help reduce energy use.    

If you’re worried about your energy bills, please get in touch. Our support teams can find out if you’re eligible for cheaper tariffs or energy support. Please make sure that you have money on your meter ahead of a gas service to ensure we can complete the service – if you’re struggling to top up your meter, please let us know in advance so we can see if we can help.  

Check out cheaper broadband deals and water tariffs  

If you’re claiming Universal Credit, or on a low income, you may be able to access cheaper broadband packages or social tariffs with your water company. Some companies which offer reduced broadband packages include BT and Virgin Media. To explore the options further, speak to your provider or supplier directly to see what support they have on offer and contact your water company to ask about their social tariff. 

Save on school uniforms  

Find out if your school is organising second-hand uniform sales or keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace and other sites for second hand uniform items.  

Check if you should be receiving the Winter fuel grant  

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’. Find out more and when you need to claim by on the Government’s website

Look into Council Tax support  

You can apply to your local council for a Council Tax reduction (otherwise known as Council Tax support). You could be eligible to claim if you’re on a low income or you claim benefits and your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working. Read more on how to apply here.