Your safety and wellbeing are our top priorities and as part of this we’re committed to ensuring the highest level of safety when it comes to managing fire risks.
Since April this year, 7 fires have occurred across our properties, caused by a variety of factors including cigarettes, electrical appliances, an incident caused by an electric scooter whilst charging, as well as cookers/hobs and human error.
Below we have detailed some key things to remember, to help keep you and your neighbour’s safe.
If you have any questions about the fire safety policy or procedure at your building, or if you think you may need help to evacuate your home in the event of a fire, please get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0800 652 0898.
Take care when using cigarettes
Make sure you put cigarettes completely out. It is best to wet them to be sure and never smoke in bed.
Smoking is a major cause of fire, and we operate a strict ‘no Smoking’ policy within our blocks to maintain your safety.
Keep communal areas clear
Do not leave any items that could catch fire or get in someone’s way in corridors or communal areas, such as bikes or prams, as this may impact someone’s ability to evacuate safely. We have a zero-tolerance policy regarding these items and may remove them without notice if required.
Be wary of flammable items and substances
If you have a balcony, do not use it to store items that can catch fire, such as BBQs. Fires on balconies can spread easily and cause a major incident. It is also important to never use or store flammable substances in your home or in communal areas. This includes petrol, paraffin, calor gas cylinders or dangerous chemicals.
Stay alert when using appliances in the kitchen
Never leave your cooking unattended and remember to take any pans off the heat, or turn off the heat, if you are called away from the kitchen, cooker, or hob.
If a pan catches fire - never try and remove it. Only turn the heat off if it is safe to do so. If it is not safe to do so, leave the room and follow the fire evacuation policy for your building.
Take care with electrics
Never overload your electrical supply and try not to use multiple socket extension leads in your home – and always switch off electrical appliances and where possible. Remove plugs when you are not using them - especially before you go to bed.
Electric scooters have increased in popularity over the past couple of years and it is extremely important to take great care when charging them. If you have to keep one in your home, remove the battery when charging and don’t leave it unattended. Only use the charger supplied by the manufacturer - damaged chargers or cables should not be used and know your charging times, avoiding charging for longer than necessary. More safety guidance on electric scooters can be found here.
If you spot something that doesn’t seem right or if a fault occurs, contact your local fire service and follow the fire evacuation policy for your building.
Keep fire safety measures in place at your building
Do not remove any fire safety signage in your building or the self-closer from your front entrance door, fitted to the top of the door. Removing the closer could put the rest of the building at risk in the event of a fire, as this helps to prevent the spread of fire.
Never wedge or prop open communal doors, they must remain shut at all times to prevent the spread of fire and do not leave main entrance doors open or leave them on the latch. This may allow non-residents access into the building and may compromise yours and your neighbour’s security.
Let us know first if you are planning to make any alterations to your home
Contact us before carrying out any works or alterations within your home. We’ll want to say yes where we can, but sometimes there are good reasons for us to say no, including for fire safety reasons.