Swapping or moving

If you’re one of our customers, there are a few ways to move home. You’ll find help with them here

How to swap your home

  • The quickest way to move is to find someone to swap homes with
  • This is called a mutual exchange or property swap
  • You can swap with another VIVID customer or a customer of another housing association or council, anywhere in the country


Things you need to know about swapping your home

  • You need to sign-up online and register with HomeSwapper. When you’ve done this, you can see the homes you can swap with
  • Once you've found a match, it’s up to you to contact the people who live there now and arrange to go and have a look around
  • If you both agree that you'd like to swap homes, everyone involved - even if they’re not a customer with VIVID - needs to fill in our form. And a new home could be just a few clicks away
  • Once you've sent the forms to us, we’ll check everything through
  • If the swap ticks all the boxes (if it’s the right size and you’re up-to-date with your rent etc), we’ll do gas and electric safety checks etc
  • These checks could take up to six weeks


What happens next?

  • When the swap is approved, both you and the people you’re swapping with must sign the final paperwork
  • It’s important that you don’t move until you have everything in writing, and everyone has signed the tenancy paperwork
  • If you move without the agreement of all the landlords involved, you’ll have to move back and could be taken to court for breaking your tenancy agreement
  • If you swap your home, the new tenancy could have different conditions than your old one. For example, the tenancy may not be able to be passed onto someone in the family if you die
  • If you move out, you need to leave your home (and garden) in a safe, clean and good condition
  • If you are moving into a VIVID property, you will be required to make an upfront payment of 2 weeks rent in advance. If you are a Direct Debit payer, this will be a monthly rent payment in advance.


Here’s the form you’ll need if you want to apply for a house swap.

Swapping your home form

Why could the swap be refused?

  • Is in debt with their rent or owes money such as court costs
  • Has been involved in anti social behaviour
  • Has had a notice seeking possession (that’s the legal process that is the start of the eviction process) within the last 12 months
  • Has a court order against them, or the landlord has started the legal process to get a court order
  • Has enough income, savings or assets to rent privately or buy their own home.
  • Too big or too small for the new household
  • Designed or has been adapted for people with particular disabilities or special needs and no one in the new household needs a home like this
  • In a place for people of a particular age (for example over 65) and no one in the new household is this age
  • In a village or an area where people need to have a local connection to live there, and no one in the new household has that connection

How to transfer to another home in your local area

  • If you want to move to another home in your local area you can ask the council for a transfer

  • To do this you’ll have to apply to join your local council’s transfer register. You can find your local council here 

  • All councils run their registers differently, so you should contact them to find out how they run theirs

Family homes are always in demand, so if you live in one and want to move to a smaller place, your local council may give you extra priority so that a family can move into yours

Think about shared ownership

With shared ownership you buy part of a new home and pay rent on the rest, which means you need a smaller deposit and need to borrow less

Could you take up ‘right to buy’?

Some people can buy the home they rent from us. And some can get a discount, meaning they pay less than the property would sell for on the open market

Do you have a ‘right to acquire’?

Some people have the right to acquire their rented home at a discounted price - this scheme is normally for newer customers similar to the right to buy scheme

Planning on moving out?

Social rent homes

If you're moving out of one of our social rent homes, you'll need to give us four weeks’ notice (ending on a Sunday). Fill in this form if you plan to move out. 

Then print it off and post it back to us or, better still, email us a copy to customer@vividhomes.co.uk and we’ll be back in touch.

Intermediate rent or market rent homes

If you’re leaving one of our intermediate rent or market rent homes, you must give us at least one month’s notice in writing. Fill in this form if you plan to move out. 

Then print it off and post it back to us or, better still, email us a copy to customer@vividhomes.co.uk and we’ll be back in touch.


All homes - no matter where you’re moving from - have to be left in a safe, clean and good condition

Still looking for help?

Doing things online or by email is normally the quickest and easiest way, but we know it’s not always the best way for everyone. You can phone us on 0800 652 0898 (our phone lines are open 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday). But remember, the phones do get really busy.

Contact us