Spending a few pounds now could save you a lot of heartache in the future

Protect your home and the things inside you own

Bad luck often comes out of the blue. But if you protect yourself with insurance, you could stop a bad situation becoming  worse.


Home contents insurance 

Why do I need it?

As your landlord, we don't cover the things inside your home such as furniture and carpets. So we’d like all customers to consider taking out contents insurance for their home or garage. It’s a good idea to consider what an insurance policy would cover you for, so you can decide if it's right for you.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen - home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide if this insurance is right for you, we've teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Ageas Insurance Limited. They provide the 'My Home Contents Insurance Scheme' - designed specifically for people living in rented homes.

The scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including  furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • Visit for more information or to request a call back.

The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

Go to the thistlemyhome website


Building insurance explained

This insurance is needed by leaseholders and shared owners...but often paid for in your service charges

  • Building insurance covers damage that happens to the structure of a building. It normally covers the things that would stay put if the building was turned upside down and shook
  • Because we own the buildings, people who rent from us normally don’t need building insurance (although they do need contents insurance. See the section above)


What this means for leaseholders and shared owners?

  • Leaseholders and shared owners do need building insurance for their homes - we insure most of them
  • Please check your service charge statement or your lease to make sure you’re covered
  • If you’re not sure, get in touch with your Neighbourhood Officer
  • If we’ve sorted it, you’ll be covered with a company called Gallagher. If you have any claims, contact them on 01245 341 251.
Download the summary of cover (PDF 278kb)

Just remember…

Buildings insurance doesn’t cover the things you have inside your home. You need home contents insurance to cover your furniture, clothes, carpets, electrical goods and other household goods etc.

Go to the thistlemyhome website