You may be surprised to know that we’ve already had 14 fire related incidents in our properties this year. One customer accidentally left a tea towel on her cooker but caught it in time and there was minimal damage. Others haven’t been so lucky. Another customer had to move out of her home due to extensive damage caused by a tea light candle. Other incidents have been caused by cigarettes, BBQS on balconies and unclean cookers.
Your safety in your home is our top priority, and we work closely with our local partners, such as fire services, to achieve this. But there are a few things you can do to ensure your safety from the threat of fire too. Read our top tips below to protect your family and home.
Top ten tips to keep your home fire safe!
- Check your smoke alarm regularly. If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, contact your local authority for a specialist alarm.
- Stay safe in the kitchen. Never leave cooking or a chip pan unattended and keep electrical leads and tea towels away from the hob. Clean your grill, hob and oven regularly.
- Don’t have BBQs on your balcony. And don’t store gas or firefighting equipment on your balcony.
- Make sure you put cigarettes completely out. It's best to wet them to be sure and never smoke in bed.
- If you live in a high-rise building, make sure you know the evacuation policy. You may need to evacuate the building or stay put in your flat if it’s safe to do so. If you’re unsure, check with your Neighbourhood Officer.
- Use candles safely. Never leave a burning flame unattended and don’t light them near flammable items.
- Keep your children safe. Don’t leave children on their own in a room where there’s a fire risk and keep matches, lighters and candles out of reach.
- Keep communal areas clear. Keep your fire escape route clear of obstructions at all times - this includes bikes and prams.
- Check appliances. Always register new appliances, so you’ll be made aware of any recalls, which can be completed on registermyappliance.org.uk. Or, you can check electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk for any electrical products that have been recalled since 2007. Only use one appliance per socket and replace any old or poorly wired appliances.
- Home visits for the vulnerable. If you’re vulnerable or aged 65+ and are worried about fire safety, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free safety checks in your home – find out more on the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service website.