Customer news

Are your home contents covered?

Find out more about how the National Housing Federations 'My Home Contents Insurance’ scheme, which is administered by Thistle Tenant Risks, may help to protect your home contents and personal belongings.

No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen. There is always the chance that your possessions could get broken, damaged or stolen - and replacing them may be expensive.

It’s a good idea to consider taking out home contents insurance, so that you know your personal belongings and home contents may be protected if something unexpected happens.

What’s home contents insurance?

Home contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions, so that if they are damaged or stolen, the cost could be covered by your insurance company. It’s important to read through the policy carefully to check that it’s right for you. The My Home Contents Insurance scheme covers against, fire, theft, flood and items such as:

  • Furniture
  • Carpets
  • Soft furnishings
  • Clothes
  • Bedding
  • Electrical items
  • Jewellery
  • Ornaments
  • Antiques

For an additional premium the My Home Scheme offers personal possessions as well, so that you’ll be covered if you lose or damage items when outside of your home, such as jewellery or your phone. (Limit of £500 per item per claim)

Cover for your valuables usually consists of a single item limit or a total amount for all your valuables. We recommend using a contents calculator service, to make sure you don’t over or undervalue your possessions.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply, a copy of the policy wording is available on request.

Why do I need home contents insurance?

Home contents insurance provides peace of mind that you won’t be out of pocket if your possessions get damaged or stolen. As your landlord, we don’t cover things inside your home such as furniture and carpets, so it’s a good idea to make sure that you’re protected.

Houses in the UK are burgled every 108 seconds (according to Calder Security), and UK homes contain an average of £40,000 worth of contents (according to Admiral) that are at risk of being damaged in a fire, flood or general accidents at home. If your contents aren’t protected, you’re at risk of having to paying out large amounts of money yourself.

Find out more about the ‘My Home Contents’ insurance scheme

We’ve teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Ages Insurance Limited who provide a ‘My Home Contents Insurance’ scheme that is designed specifically for social housing tenants. To learn about the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288 or visit for more information.

The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at